Reps Ban Lottery Via GSM Networks
A House of Representatives ad-hoc panel has directed lottery operators to stop using the platforms of telecommunication companies in doing their business.
The ad-hoc committee investigating the activities of telecoms operators and vendors, chaired by Rep. Ahmed Abu (APC, Niger), issued the directive during a session with some key government agencies.
The committee described as unacceptable a situation where telcoms took 70 per cent of the profits made by various lottery operators, leaving them with only 30 per cent to be shared between them and government.
The Executive Vice Chairman of the Nigeria Communications Commission (NCC), Prof Umar Garba Danbatta, told the panel that based on the provision of the law, winners of lottery took 50 per cent, and the operators took 30 per cent, while 20 per cent went to the0 government through the Lottery Trust Fund.
But he said currently, lottery operators used telcos platforms for their activities, after which the companies took 80 per cent of the profits made.
The committee said as at the time the lottery law came into being, the current practice of using telcos platforms was not captured and wondered why the companies would take large chunk of the profits made